Toshiba Memory Corporation (hereinafter TMC), guided by its Basic Commitment and Standards of Conduct, engages in business activities that allow it to contribute to society, to earn the trust of all of its customers, and to meet the expectations of stakeholders.
TMC recognizes that the personal information received from stakeholders in the course of business activities is an important asset of each stakeholder, and also an important asset for TMC as a source that contributes to the creation of new value, and provides appropriate protection for personal information in accordance with the following Basic Policy.
1. Basic Policy
TMC strictly complies with the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and other relevant laws and guidelines established by the government of Japan, and with other standards. TMC has formulated Regulations on Personal Information Protection, and carefully implements and maintains and strives to continually improve its management system for personal information protection.
TMC has established a management framework for the protection of personal information that includes assigning a responsible person in all divisions that handle personal information, and ensuring that all company officers and employees recognize the importance of and act in full compliance with the Regulations.
TMC utilizes personal information to provide services to customers within a scope of use that is clearly communicated to each customer, and takes measures to prevent its use beyond that scope. TMC does not disclose or provide personal information obtained from customers to any third party without the express consent of the customer who provided the personal information, or unless there is a legitimate reason for such disclosure.
TMC maintains accurate, up-to-date personal information, and makes all required efforts to prevent unauthorized access to such personal information, as well as any leakage, loss or damage of the same, and continually enhances and remediates information security.
TMC responds promptly and with good faith to inquiries and requests from customers in respect of their personal information and its disclosure.
Date of introduction: April 1, 2017
Toshiba Memory Corporation
This Basic Policy applies to personal information held by TMC in Japan. Please confirm details of the privacy policies of TMC's affiliates in Japan and of its overseas subsidiaries by contacting those companies directly.
2. Intended Use of Personal Information
The main area of business in which TMC makes use of personal information is the semiconductor memory business. With respect to the intended use of the personal information held by TMC, please refer to the section on Intended Use of personal information.
When TMC obtains personal information from customers in respect of a product or service, TMC clearly indicates in advance the intended scope and purpose of use of the personal information, and makes use of the provided information within that stated scope and purpose of use.
In the event that a need arises to use a customer's personal information for any purpose that goes beyond the stated scope and purpose, TMC notifies the customer to that effect, and obtains the customer's consent before making such use of the information. TMC uses personal information entrusted to it by other companies only within the terms of the contract it enters into with those companies.
With respect to the intended use of personal information held by TMC, please refer to the page covering the Intended Use of Personal Information.
3. Provision of Personal Information
TMC does not disclose customers' personal information to third parties other than in the following cases.
- 3.1.1When the customer has given prior consent to such disclosure
- 3.1.2When required to do so in order to comply with laws and regulations
- 3.1.3When disclosure is necessary for the protection of human life, human health or property, and it is difficult to obtain the consent of the customer
- 3.1.4When TMC consigns the handling of personal information to a third party to the extent necessary to achieve the stated purpose of use
- 3.1.5When another entity succeeds to TMC's business as the result of a merger, corporate separation, transfer of business or other reason
When it is deemed that a customer inquiry in respect of a product, repair or other service can be more appropriately dealt with by a TMC affiliate or distributor, the customer's name, address, telephone number and other information will be provided to the affiliate or distributor, with the prior consent of the customer.
4. Procedures for Requests for Disclosure
TMC responds to the following customer requests in respect of the customer's personal information held by TMC: 1) Requests for disclosure; 2) Requests for notification of the intended purpose; 3) Requests for correction; 4) Requests for addition; 5) Requests for deletion; and 6) Requests for cessation of use or cessation of disclosure to third parties. Please contact us if you require further information on the details of the request procedures are as follows. Please note that we will charge a fee for requests for disclosure and requests for notification of intended use.
- Application for request for disclosure etc.
- For requests for disclosure, etc., please attach the required documents to the prescribed request form and send them to TMC by mail. When you mail the request forms to TMC, please use simple registered mail or some other method of delivery that allows tracking of delivery.
In addition, it would be greatly appreciated if you could write "personal information request enclosed" in red on the envelope.
Head of Personal information Protection
Toshiba Memory Corporation
1-1 Shibaura 1-chome, Minato-ku, Tokyo
- Written submission of request for disclosure, etc.
- In the case of a request for disclosure, etc., please download the appropriate form indicated in (1), complete all the required sections, enclose the documents indicated in (2) to confirm your identity, and mail them to the address in 4.1 above.
- (1) TMC prescribed request form
- (a) For requesting disclosure of personal information or notification of intended use (fee required)
Personal information disclosure request form
- (b) For requesting a correction, addition, deletion, suspension of use of personal information or suspension of provision to third parties (no fee required)
Personal information correction, etc., request form
* We only charge a fee for disclosure of personal information and notification of intended use. No fee is required for correcting, adding, deleting, suspending use of personal information, or suspending provision to third parties.
- (2) Documents to confirm identity
- A copy of any one of the following:
- (a) Driver's license
- (b) Health insurance certificate of insured person
- (c) Passport
- (d) Pension book
- (e) Basic resident's registration card
- (f) My Number card (only side with photograph of face)
- * We will send you an acknowledgment of receipt when we confirm the submission of the prescribed form and receipt of any required fee.
- Request for disclosure etc., via an agent
- In the case of delegating an agent to request disclosure, etc., in addition to the documents indicated in (1) and (2) of the previous paragraph, please enclose the following documents.
- (1)TMC prescribed request form
- (a) Sections concerning agents
- (b) Documents to confirm the identity of the agent
- ①Driver's license
- ②Health insurance certificate of insured person
- ④Pension book
- ⑤Basic Resident Register Card
- ⑥My number card (only side with photograph of face)
Power of attorney
The person on whose behalf the request is being made must affix his or her seal to the power of attorney and also attach a copy of the registration certificate of the seal. If the agent is the legal representative of the person on whose behalf the request is being made, such as a parent or guardian, the power of attorney can be replaced with a copy of extract of the family register or a resident card that shows the relationship with the agent and the person on whose behalf the request is being made.
- Fees in respect of request for disclosure and notification of intended use
- Requests for disclosure of personal information and notice of intended use are subject to a fee of 800 yen (tax included) per single request. Please enclose a postal service money order for 800 yen with the submitted documentation. Customers are responsible for the cost of the purchase of the money order and the postage to Toshiba.
* In cases where the fee is insufficient or where the fee is not enclosed, TMC will contact the customer, but if payment is not made within the prescribed period TMC will handle the request for disclosure / notification of intended use as if it had not been received.
- Method of response to requests for disclosure, etc.
- A written reply will be sent to the address stated on the request form of the person making the request.
- Intended use of acquired personal information with regard to requests for disclosure, etc.
- Personal information acquired in connecting with requests for disclosure etc. will used only within the scope necessary for handling the request for disclosure etc. Documents submitted with the request will not be returned. Upon completion of the response to the request for disclosure etc., documents will be properly managed and disposed of.
* RE grounds for non-disclosure of personal information
In the cases detailed below, TMC is not able to respond to customer requests for disclosure etc. of personal information. In cases where TMC decides not to make disclosure, the customer will be provided with a notification to that effect, and an explanation of the reason. It should be noted that the prescribed fee will be charged, even in cases of non-disclosure or non-notification of intended use.
- · Cases where TMC cannot confirm the identity of the person making the request, such as when the address on the request form or the address stated on the document used to confirm the identity of the person making the request does not match the address registered with TMC.
- · Cases where the request is made via an agent but the power of attorney cannot be confirmed
- · Cases where not all of the required documents are submitted
- · Cases where TMC is unable to identify personal information from the content on the request form
- · Cases where the subject of the request for disclosure does not fall within the definition of retained personal information referred to in Article 2, Paragraph 5 of the act
- · Cases where there is a risk of causing harm to the life, body, property or other rights and interests of the person making the request or to a third party
- · Cases where there is a risk of seriously hindering the proper implementation of TMC's business
- · Cases that would cause other laws and ordinances to be violated
- In order to protect customer personal information and respond to changes in laws and regulations, we may revise some of the content of the procedures for making requests for disclosure, etc. Please check these procedures every time you make a request for disclosure, etc.
5. Inquiries Concerning Personal information
Customers should direct enquiries and complaints concerning their own personal information to the department that received and registered the personal information.
6. Request to Children under 16 years of Age
Children under 16 years who provide personal information to TMC should do so only after obtaining the consent of a parent or guardian.
7. Notice regarding Websites Operated by TMC
- Management method
- All personal information on customers that is registered on websites operated by TMC is handled in strict compliance with the Act on the Protection of Personal Information, and with other relevant laws in Japan and the United States. These laws and regulations may differ from laws and regulations that apply in countries and regions where customers reside. In accordance with the laws of Japan and the United States, customer information may be subject to disclosure requests by administrative agencies, law courts and other law enforcement agencies in Japan and the United States.
- Collection of personal information
- When customers using services offered by TMC have given prior agreement to cooperation with an external service managed by a third party, based on the scope of content agreed at the time such permission was granted, TMC will receive the customer's personal information from the external service.
- Intended uses
- Personal information may be used for the purposes of distributing mail magazines; sharing information on current and new TMC products; providing information on seminars and exhibitions; conducting surveys; marketing activities, confirming and responding to customer enquiries; and to maintain records related to the foregoing. Based on personal information received, responsible persons at TMC may contact customers in connection with use for the abovementioned purposes.
In addition to the foregoing, TMC may also use personal information that customers have registered on TMC websites in combination with their browsing history on those websites.
Please note that some services provided by TMC (including website services operated by TMC) may not be available to customers if they do not provide personal information.
- Communication Encryption
- Transmission of personal information provided by customers is protected by encryption technologies that include SSL (Secure Socket Layers) and TLS (Transport Layer Security). Access to TMC websites may not be possible with a browser that does not support SSL or TLS, etc.
- Outsourcing of handling of personal information
- All or part of the handling of personal information may be outsourced, to the extent necessary for carrying out the purposes mentioned above.
- Provision of Personal information
- Personal information of customers registered on TMC websites is shared within TMC, with TMC Group affiliated companies, and with our business partners, etc. In addition, personal information of customers that is shared by TMC, TMC group affiliated companies and business partners, etc., will be stored and used in the countries and regions where business and sales are conducted.
- Contact Support
- TMC responds to inquiries by e-mail. Notwithstanding this, depending on the content, there are also cases where replies may be made in writing or by telephone or facsimile. Please understand that TMC may not be able to reply to enquiries from companies in the same industry.
Customers are also asked to understand that there may be cases where TMC is unable to reply to inquiries seeking the repair of products sold as part of a set; in such cases, the first point of contact is the set maker. TMC cannot respond immediately to inquiries received on Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, the New Year holidays and TMC's own holidays. A response will be made on the next business day or after.
- Use of Web Beacons
- Web beacons (clear GIF) are a technology that uses GIF files and scripts to capture the status of access from your computer, and to get statistics on the usage rate of specific web pages. Use of web beacons together with the above mentioned cookies makes it possible to obtain detailed statistical information. TMC websites use technologies such as web beacons for the purpose of obtaining statistical information that can be used to improve the websites. By adjusting browser settings customers can refuse to accept cookies and/or display warnings when they receive cookies. In such cases, the web beacon recognizes the access status, but TMC does not collect any of the customer's personal information via the web beacon.
- Notes for Links
- TMC bears no responsibility for the security of customers' personal information used on third party websites linked to from TMC websites. Please confirm the privacy policies of linked websites operated by other companies.
8. Information on important changes and notices
TMC posts details of important changes to and notices on personal information protection in the Announcements section.
TMC may revise the Personal Information Protection Policy from time to time, in order to better protect customers' personal information and to comply with changes in applicable laws and regulations.
- Please contact the following department with any inquiries in respect of personal information protection:
- TMC Memory Corporation - Human Resources & General Affairs Department
Address: Hamamatsucho Toshiba Building 29th Floor C Zone, 1-1 Shibaura 1-chome, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Revised: June 15, 2017
Personal Information Protection Manager
Human Resources and Administration Division
Intended Use of Personal Data
TMC uses personal information provided by customers and other individuals for the following purposes:
- 1) Personal information related to customers
- a) Shipment of products
- b) Provision of information on products, services and events
- c) Provision of product support or maintenance
- d) Responses to inquiries and requests for consultation
- e) Issue of warranty cards and provision of in-warranty service
- f) Provision of membership services
- g) Product development, conducting questionnaire-based surveys, implementing monitoring
- h) Performance of contracts
- i) Business negotiations and meetings with customers
- 2) Personal information related to shareholders
- a) Enforcement of rights and fulfillment of obligations under laws and regulations
- b) Provisions made for shareholders (shareholder benefit programs, etc.)
- c) Implementation of measures related to shareholders (surveys, etc.)
- d) Shareholder management required by laws and regulations (preparation of shareholder data, etc.)
- 3) Personal information related to government officials and civil servants
- Contacts with, reports and inquiries, etc., to the competent authorities required for the execution of business
- 4) Personal information related to business partners and officers and employees of other companies
- a) Contacts, discussions and the like required for the execution of business
- b) Management of information on business partners and processing of payments and receipts by TMC
- 5) Personal information received under contracts with business partners
- Performance of outsourcing contract
- 6) Personal information on applicants for employment
- a) Contacts with and provision of recruitment information to applicants for employment (including internships)
- b) Recruitment management at TMC
With respect to 3) and 4) above, personal information may be obtained through commercially available lists of the relevant personnel.
With respect to 5) above, the personal information is not, in principle, subject to disclosure.
A new window will open.